THE DRIVE

The cross country
Drive went off without 

A hitch.

Much kissing. 

You parked down near my tailbone
And camped out behind my spleen.

You walked desert roads 
And I listened with a cup
Pressed up against my belly

To your singing. 

And then you exited through my pores
Like a vapor 

And for some damn reason
I built wings for you to fly

And helped you get them 
On your back.

Gave you the final push off
Saying something like, 
“Be free! Be free!”

From me. 

And I burdened myself
With another cup against
My belly, 

My heart,
My throat
My head. 

Kept hearing the same old song. 

Until I watched magnolia leaves
Turn brown

And realized it was all enough. 
Im going to throw these keys out now. 

Throw them out the window
Down my spine to be eaten by my stomach
And 

A permanent neutrality will come 

To be. 

What am I more afraid of?
The drive or the absence of

Cars on the road. 

stephanie lorentzen-jordan

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICE OF THE MORNING SUN

SEEING IN THE DARK

THE GIRL IN THE BOAT