INTO THE BOX

Into the box
Went the coins, the things 
Remembered

And the nourishment. 

The flood waters rotted the bottom out.

And left the ground full of gems.

I walked on them and cut my feet.

The children trailed behind
Wading in my pools

And I led them.
My hair blew in their faces.

And I held the branches of majestic trees
Back for us. 

Opened passages and doorways
Through mountains and dark waters. 

Called unto clouds and moons
For us to travel upon.

And the sun filtered through our 
Skin and thoughts

All the way to the marrow of that
Something. That one thing. That

Nothingness. 

And the children at that time, 
As the minstrel played the breaking tune,
Brushed my hair from their eyes 

And parted.

And we softened the world 
With our tender sleep.

“We are fully awake now and one.”
Cried the everything within us. 

And remnants of that box
And coins floated past,

Others reaching broad for them
And falling apart.  

Stephanie Lorentzen-Jordan

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICE OF THE MORNING SUN

SEEING IN THE DARK

THE GIRL IN THE BOAT