SNUFF IT OUT

I go deep within,
As the wise men recommend,
To locate that place inside me where desire burns hot,
So I can snuff it out
And never feel its flame again.

I hate you for that,
That I have to do this search.

I would much rather lay
In your bed

Or
Read books with you

Or
Love you as much as
I love music.

But that isn’t happening now, so
I go deep within,
Tunneling through weakness,
Hammering through strength,
Penetrating an inner core,
[As the wise men do]
Hoping to meet that old familiar friend called desire
And ask him why he torments me so.

I love you for this,
That I have to do this search.

I am discovering what the ancient's refer to as
The Sublime.

You were once the biggest
But now I see something
Even more

And it has nothing to do
With the outside world,
But everything to do with what’s in.

It’s more beautiful than anything
I’ve known.

Except you, of course.
Nothing tops your big dark eyes and
To the extent I recognize your soul.

— Oh, I must not be there yet.
I feel some heat rising behind my smile.


stephanie lorentzen-jordan           

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICE OF THE MORNING SUN

SEEING IN THE DARK

THE GIRL IN THE BOAT