YOUR MIND

I will smile at you when your

Ego tries to find me, spitting out

Intellect like a fish in love with water,

Obsessed with gills,

Maddened over its own flopping fins.


You recognize me as a fish,

And ask me to watch you

Reach beyond consciousness,

Arching and pumping out of the water and

Pushing your intellect to the limit,

Landing smack on your back,

Eyes bulging.

Your heart can't see past my shining scales.


I watch in wonder.


My heart slides across the surface.


If I love you,

I don't care about being hurt.

Lay me down on the chopping board

And I will still sing praises!

Speak with your lizard tongue all you want.


I will shake hands with you each time

Your ego stretches out and reaches for me

Like a boa constrictor,

Lengthened, waiting to strangle,


Your own ego.


But, you are unable to find me,

Because the intellect bumps land.

And the fish dies.


And so our hearts grow bigger.


stephanie lorentzen-jordan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OFFICE OF THE MORNING SUN

SEEING IN THE DARK

THE GIRL IN THE BOAT